Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Christmas in our house


Christmas in our house for the last 5 years have been a bit different.

We got fed up of the 'Consumer Christmas' where you can't be too cheap, everything is measured on what they gave you last year, endless hours of looking in the standard issue high street that could be anywhere, queueing up with more and more agitated people the closer it gets to christmas.

So we stepped out of it. We were already handmaking all of our own cards anyway - taught to us by my husband's mum who is extremely gifted at making beautiful cards.

We started to make our own presents. All of them.

It started out as a laugh, but every year it is the challenge and the look on people's faces that keep us going! Admittedly we both take the last two weeks off before christmas, and you may have guessed it - we have no kids. Also, another admission - we don't have a TV. (I know, you now think we are really weird. But, honestly, I don't know what we did when we had a TV. We hardly have enough time now. We don't miss it, certainly not the adverts and the constant subconscious pressure that we are not yet complete until we have bought the latest whatever. Our little bubble of peace is fantastic, you should try it sometime.)

Some christmas presents have been a lot better than others, but you live and learn.

I shall be posting what we have made over the previous years soon, but Christmas 2006, we went even further. This Christmas, I made proper red sacks for the presents too!! I hate wrapping presents and it always got to me how we just throw the paper away. So I bought some red sacking, lining fabric and rope and made about 20 sacks. I asked for them back after christmas so that we can use them again and again. I may even personalise them before next year. I'll post the instructions of how I made them soon.
But here for you to enjoy, is a picture of our tree with all of the finished presents in sacks.

It looks like the elves have hand delivered them doesn't it?

Anyway, since taking up making our own presents, our new sport is to go into town on Christmas Eve and get in everyone's way!!!

No comments: